Skip to main content

Puget Sound Facilities Feed

Back to Team Profile


  • Lexi Brewer's avatar
    Lexi Brewer 4/27/2022 3:04 PM
    One change inspired by the challenge that will be a permanent one - Diaper Stork delivers tomorrow, and we are making the switch to cloth diapers! We realized there would be no "easy" time to do it, and just needed to take the plunge. The amount of trash we produce is going to instantly halve!
  • Reflection Question
    Climate & Ecosystems Ecological & Xeriscape Gardening
    What ecological or xeriscape landscaping practices do you have? How has your landscape changed from these practices?

    Lexi Brewer's avatar
    Lexi Brewer 4/25/2022 7:28 AM
    I hosted an on-campus planting with Native Plants! In looking into these practices, however, I am adjusting my strategy at home - I planted a lot of native shade plants when I moved in, but will be overseeding the lawn with a microclover mix, and sourcing some borage and honeywort for the sunny spots. I also am letting the deadnettle that has invaded my lawn and open spaces stay - it makes the bees happy!
  • Reflection Question
    Basic Needs & Security Calculate Your Water Footprint
    What is one way you will reduce your water use? What is a practice you already have that helps you reduce your water use?

    Lexi Brewer's avatar
    Lexi Brewer 4/08/2022 10:07 AM
    I was surprised that WA state electricity is so water intensive (we're mostly hydro, which is a renewable resource). I already treat baths as a, well, treat, but I can get more efficient in the shower! One nice thing is we have a very small bathtub, so my baths probably use about half the water most other baths use. 

    The largest source was "virtual water" - I also didn't know that coffee was so water intensive! I like the suggestion of cutting back one cup of coffee per day and replacing with tea... it's probably better for me, anyway!
  • Reflection Question
    Climate & Ecosystems Reduce Single-Use Plastics
    What plastic or single-use items do you regularly use? What did you substitute or could be substituted?

    Lexi Brewer's avatar
    Lexi Brewer 4/08/2022 8:32 AM
    I saved some of my plastics from today, and there are more that sneak in there than you would think! Starting in the morning...

    + Starbucks coffee cup (non-recyclable, but washable and reusable)
    + Safeway bag (recyclable)
    + 2 creamer packets (non-recyclable)
    + 3 milk storage bags (non-recyclable)
    + 2 popcorn wrappers (non-recyclable) and bags
    + 2 veggie burger wrappers (non-recyclable)
    + 1 plastic knife (non-recyclable, but washable and reusable)
    + 4 diapers
    + 15ish babywipes (70% tencel, but I'm assuming the other 30% contains some sort of poly)
    + 1 popsicle wrapper (non-recyclable)

    Following the zero-waste hierarchy: 

    1. Rethink
    • I can set my alarm 10 minutes earlier so I definitely have time to make my coffee in the morning. This will eliminate the plastic coffee cup AND the creamer packets. 
    • We've been meaning to pull the trigger on signing up for a cloth diaper service. Making this a priority would eliminate the diapers (and we could try out cloth wipes). 
    2. Refuse
    • I wasn't fast enough at Safeway saying "I brought my own bag." I can get a little more assertive about making sure that items aren't bagged in unnecessary plastic. 
    3. Reduce
    • In the meantime, we can reduce the amount of baby wipes we are using - we have a sprayer on the toilet expressly for very messy babies and can spray him down if needed! We also can use damp towels for non-diaper messes like spit up and food. 
    4. Reuse
    • My garden will reuse the plastic coffee cup to pot up plants in. And I'll wash and reuse the plastic knife at my desk. 
    5. Recycle
    • I can recycle the plastic Safeway bag. 
    (#6, Rot, doesn't apply to plastic). 

  • Patty English's avatar
    Patty English 4/08/2022 8:04 AM
    This is a great challenge in that it helps me to focus on the best practices in every area of my life!
  • Reflection Question
    Education & Livelihood Share Your Eco Habits
    How do you create new sustainability-related habits or change bad habits?

    Lexi Brewer's avatar
    Lexi Brewer 4/07/2022 8:47 AM
    On campus, I walk to meetings (instead of driving or taking a cart). When the weather is nicer, I'll bring my bike and bike! A win for me, and a win for the environment. 

  • Patty English's avatar
    Patty English 4/07/2022 7:53 AM
    I am the Manager of Administration, Facilities Services, at the University of Puget Sound.  Sustainability has become a focus for our administration. Personally, I have become very interested in taking action and making real change.  Very excited to have this fun activity to assist in my goals.